Sunday, February 15, 2009

Not all about the Business

I have to say, promotion is my least favorite aspect of running a business. Don't get me wrong, I love chatting it up with the best of them...just not so much about my store. I make a bad craft pimp. ;)

I need a space where I can think out loud, discover the process of my art and craft, display my mistakes, my achievements, those things that I love, and more about the life that inspires me. More of what intrigues me as an artist and all that makes me an artist will be surfacing.

So feel free to pull up a chair, and muse with me for a while about the life of this artist.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I've always been a people pleaser, for better or for worse. This aspect of me comes out a lot in my work. I want the image or item to be something that someone loves as much as I do. So much in fact that they can't live with out it. I find myself thinking to much of what a buyer would want versus what I am trying to express. Finding that happy medium is tricky. To love what you do, but also have others love it too. I think this is why I like custom work so much.

Custom work is the art of merging two imaginations together. I love working with an idea sparked by an other's imagination and working it until it meets me with a grand hello. My vision and the original idea combining into something unique, singular, and individualistic is an amazing process. Albeit challenging and even difficult at times, the payoff of making an other's dream come true is my artist's high. Plus the joy that the individual will feel over the creation made is just an added bonus, to say the least.

I look forward to this week, because of just such a task. I received back some tracings to do my first non family Garden Keepsake painting. I already feel connected to this painting just by handling the little hand and feet tracings put into my care. Such a privilege.

7 comments:

Baroness Bijoutery said...

i think alot of us a people pleasers..I know I am. And I always have alot of self doubt about a piece of work..but I have learned to just put it out there anyway. We just need someelse to do our promoting I think...well we know that won't happen we have to take that plunge ourselves...:):)

Zingo Tots said...

Ha-ha! A craft pimp! Funny.
I am with you - totally dislike promoting.
Cute blog and adorable store!

Unknown said...

Promoting and editing photo's is my least favorite things to do when selling online. Thank you for sharing with us about your thoughts on this. You do have a wonderful talent & gift.

on a side note I have nominated you for a lemonade award. for more information just go to my blog www.libertydoll.blogspot.com for more information.

Unknown said...

Nice Blog. How are you?

Baroness Bijoutery said...

I have just given you an Award for your blog...Check out my blog for the award and what you need to do next....Have a great day.

Unknown said...

was just ready to turn off the computor for the night...
your big bright strawberry caught my eye... I just had to come visit...
so glad I did...
I thought we were all people pleasers..:)
great blog.. fantastic creations
you go girl...
mona & the gaffer girls
ps .. have a great humpday tomorrow

PAC said...

great read!